SASI Home Service Aide FAQs

What does SASI provide?

SASI provides nonmedical and nonfinancial home care services to help seniors and other adults remain in their homes. Please see our Services section for more details on how we can help.

What can a consumer expect from a home services agency licensed by the IDPH?

SASI is licensed as a Home Services Agency and a Home Services Placement Agency through the Illinois Department of Public Health Home Health’s, Home Services, Home Nursing and Placement Agency licensure. Only an agency can be licensed, not individuals. Though many of our home care aides have training as Certified Nursing Assistants, we are a nonmedical agency and do not monitor these licenses. Click here to read what you can expect from an agency licensed by the Illinois Department of Public Health.

How much notice do you need to find someone to help me?

As much as possible! We highly recommend interviewing potential home care aides, and we cannot realistically set up interviews without some prior notice. However, we know sometimes you do not have notice. Often, if you need someone to help you immediately, we can send someone, but that aide may not be the same aide you hire permanently. We do our best to be as consistent as possible.

What questions should I ask when looking for a caregiver?

When you begin looking for a caregiver, it's important to answer some basic questions about your needs. "You Need Help at Home" provides a list of guidelines and questions to ask when you call a caregiving agency.

My caregiver has an emergency/is sick. Can I call SASI for short term care or a fill-in caregiver?

Absolutely! We are happy to help whenever we can. SASI is here if your home care aide has an emergency and cannot be there when you need them. We ask for as much notice as possible for planned absences so we can handle emergency absences as efficiently as possible. Though we cannot guarantee a replacement, we have a very high rate of success with emergency replacements. Please call us at (847) 864-7274.

What if I employ a home care aide independently, but they need time off?

SASI is happy to help. Please let us know as soon as possible so we can place another aide with you for that period of time.

How can I start service with SASI?

Call us at (847) 864-7274. We’re happy to help!

What are SASI’s home care aide requirements?

All home care workers are required to be experienced, screened, and trained. Please see our Home Care Aide page for more details.

How does SASI do background checks on the home care aides?

SASI does all background checks in compliance with the Illinois Department of Public Health’s Health Care Worker Background Check Act, which includes electronic fingerprinting and criminal records checks through the Illinois State Police.

What are my responsibilities as an employer?

The Illinois Department of Employment Security provides up-to-date information on how to be an employer in the State of Illinois. SASI also recommends speaking with your tax preparer about how to handle this issue as well as your homeowner’s insurance agent to ensure you have the appropriate riders needed to have an employee in your home.

I need medical care, but want to stay at home. Where do I find a home nursing agency or home health agency?

Home nursing agencies, home nursing placement agencies, and home health agencies are licensed by the Illinois Department of Public Health’s Home Health, Home Services, Home Nursing and Placement Agency licensure. You can check the website for options, or speak to your doctor’s office for a referral.

How do I prepare to have a home care aide in my home?

Please see our SASI Clients page for some practical advice on how to prepare for an aide in your home.

I don’t have a lot of money to pay for home care. What help is available for me?

Sometimes, a long term care insurance policy covers in-home assistance. If you have a policy, speak to your insurance company about what your coverage includes. If you qualify for Medicaid, you may also qualify for the Community Care Providers Program (CCP). Though SASI is not a provider of CCP, we have provided supplemental care in conjunction with CCP care in the past. Please contact AgeOptions or your local Area Agency on Aging to help determine for which assistance you may qualify.

Do I have to pay for the initial assessment and 90-day supervisory visits?

No. In fact, the Illinois Department of Public Health’s Home Health, Home Services, Home Nursing and Placement Agency licensure states “Supervision does not constitute time or an activity that can be billed as a service to the client/consumer.” No agency should charge you for your initial assessment and 90-day supervisory visits.

My parents live in the Chicago area, but I do not. What is the right option for me?

Often people in this circumstance are more comfortable hiring an agency that employs home care aides to monitor care. This option makes billing slightly easier as well—you only have to pay the agency and can pay by credit card for the entire amount of care. However, it really depends on your family member and his or her ability and willingness to manage the care. Please see this page for information on the differences between hiring an agency and hiring a worker directly.

What about people in hospice? Can SASI help?

Though we are not a nursing agency, we can often supplement the care provided through hospice. We have aides available to work whatever hours are needed by you and/or your family and friends—whether that is 24-hour care or care on a shorter basis to relieve the stress on the unpaid care providers.

Print Email Share